Thursday 15 August 2013

Exeter

Whilst working in Exeter, after the big storm of January 1990, I had cause to survey the damage to several large houses. At one job, most of the roof was lying in a neighbours back garden. I introduced myself as the Insurance Loss Adjuster, and engaged in a little rapport building conversation by asking "has there been much water coming in?" I was genuinely interested 'cos this could affect the extent of internal damage.
The reply had me biting my lip; "Only when it rains". Was this person really a refugee from the home for the bewildered or was I just being treated with a little sarcastic contempt? I carried on about my business until finished, thinking no more about it. On leaving, I explained I was down from Dundee helping out, didn't know my way around, and "how do I get to Dawlish?" The answer confirmed my initial suspicion: "oh I wouldn't go from here" was the reply. I left bemused, amused and slightly afraid that care in the community had abandoned one of their patients in the midst of a disaster zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment